Saturday, January 18, 2014

avocado "dressing"

I love avocado. Who doesn't? You can do a lot with it; put it in salads, use it as a spread, grill it, eat it out of the peel... You get the picture. This time, I decided to use it in a dressing. I will use the term dressing loosely, given that the consistency is somewhere between a dip and a nicely flowing dressing. But as I type this I am realizing that it has a similar consistency to blue cheese dressing: sans chunks of aged moldy cheese. I found my recipe here. Be advised that when you click on that particular pin, it doesn't give you the same recipe as it does on the actual pin. I didn't realize that until AFTER I made the "dressing". I ended up making a few little changes because well, why not?! Turns out, the linked recipe is much more of a dressing than what I ended up with. Here's what I did:

Ingredients:
1 ripe avocado
Fresh lemon & lime juice- 1/2 the lemon, whole lime
2-3 cloves of garlic depending on size (I used 2- they were big)
A few dashes of hot sauce (personal preference: Frank's)
Salt and pepper to taste
6 oz. plain Greek yogurt (I used non-fat because it was what I had and went with this brand)

What to do (Sorry, I forgot to snap some photos mid-recipe):
Peel the stuff that needs peeling (garlic, avocado) and open the things that need opening (yogurt)
Put everything in the food processor. Turn it on. Let it go.
Scrape the sides part way through and then give it another mix.
Store in a mason jar or other jar suitable for fridge storage.

I tried mine as a dip for some beet chips I made earlier in the day and used it with some of those real thin pretzel crisps. I'm excited to try it on a salad with some chicken or steak and love knowing that I controlled everything that went into it. I also threw the avocado pit into the jar to keep it green, although I'm not sure if it would have turned or not given the other ingredients. I think I could probably use another avocado and less of the liquids and have a twist on guac (yummm) and I may try it with a little cilantro and skip lemon next time, just to switch it up (a la guac style).

While Mr. Picky did not try it,  I'm pretty happy with my new "dressing"!!

What's your favorite homemade dressing?
Happy Fooding!

(The brands I used are strictly personal choice. You can use what you like best of course!)


No comments:

Post a Comment