Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year's "Resolutions"

There's a lot of talk this time of year about "resolutions". And why not? It's the start of a new year; a blank slate where you can do anything, be anything, try anything. Not that you can't do these things any other time of year because newsflash: you can! But, we are always trying to find a "start date". We do it with everything... "I'll start doing this on Monday", "next month, I'll do this"... we always need a start. So a new year is a perfect time to make a "resolution".

I'm a full-time Special Ed teacher. I work in a classroom designed to support students social, emotional and behavioral needs. Why am I telling you this on a "foodie" blog? Well, because coincidentally, the inspiration came from my students, sort of. Every Friday, I run a therapeutic group w/ my students. The last Friday before vacation, and before Christmas break, I made the students, and therefor myself, fill out a sheet about 2013 and their goals for 2014. Goals could be personal, academic, social or anything in between (and they were). When I started to consider what I wanted to do in 2014, it turned out to be more personal than anything. I wanted to take more time for myself- to do things I want to do that I normally put off or make excuses for. Leaving it at that, we all left for break. It wasn't until New Years Day (very early morning) that I settled on a goal.

Sitting around with some friends after watching the ball drop, we were sharing "revolutions" for 2014. It was then that I decided that this year, I want to cook more. What!? Cook more!? Yes. Except I don't mean just cook more often. This year, I want to cook new things. I am a pinterest JUNKIE (follow me here). The problem with that is I spend a lot of time pinning and not a lot of time doing. So this year, I'm going to DO. I'm going to attempt 52 (ish) new (to me) recipes and blog about them. My goal is 1 per week, although some weeks/days there will be more and some, not as many. Yes, I realize it's a little "Julia & Julia" of me, but since I'm not held to only one cookbook, I'm free to make whatever I please.

I hope you'll share your new recipes with me and that I can do them justice while adding them to my (new) recipe holder {Thanks, Mom!}.

Happy Fooding.

No comments:

Post a Comment